The other day I was talking to one of our long-time clients and she said, “Jodie, we’re running out of people that know stuff here.” I hung up the phone and thought simpler and truer words have never been spoken. Where did all of the smart call center agents go? The skilled-labor shortage is at an all-time high across many industries, and it means we have unqualified people doing jobs they shouldn’t be, semi-qualified folks that aren’t doing as much as they can and jobs that are just plain left vacant because the right candidate can’t be found.
So what suffers when smart call center agents leave?
The customer experience! Customers pay the price in large and small ways, in obvious and subtle ways, when smart call center agents leave. When billing software isn’t installed and operating properly, company processes are not customer-friendly, and agents answering calls aren’t astute multitaskers, everyone feels the pain.
“I haven’t received an electric bill in over three months and no one at your company can tell me why. What the heck is going on over there?”
“When I called to get information on my order the agent told me to “hang on” because he “wasn’t a computer person” and couldn’t navigate between the order screens quickly. I can’t believe this is who you have answering the phone.
“I went into your store the other day and I asked one of the associates a simple question and she shrugged her shoulders. I asked if there was a supervisor around I could ask and she told me he probably didn’t know either. I took my business elsewhere – that’s for sure!
- What can contact centers learn from Tom Brady’s balls? - May 13, 2015
- Customer Service Leaders are Ready to Invest in these Solutions - April 30, 2015
- 5 Ways to Show Customers Love and Get it in Return - February 12, 2015
- Unearthing Time to Coach Contact Center Agents - January 28, 2015
- How to Improve Agent Performance without the Ding - January 21, 2015
- How to Implement a Lean Quality Assurance Program - January 1, 2015
- Why FCR is more powerful than a genie in a bottle - December 22, 2014
- Contact Center Budget Wars: New Armor to Defend Against Cuts - October 16, 2014
- Neither Qualitative NOR Quantitative VoC Data Works - October 6, 2014
- Quality investments are like Granite Countertops - July 24, 2014